What good does a great resume, a stellar cover letter or your Job Interview Secret Career Document do you, if you can’t cut it when it comes down to the real test – The Job Interview? This is when you really have to be on your game, where the most important decision is made, whether to hire you or not and where you better bring you bag of impressive tricks. But first let’s make sure you get all the basics down because let’s be real, if you mess up any of the following things it’s over before you even get a real chance to shine and show what you can bring to the company.
The 9 Most Important Job Interview Hints:
1. The day before the interview, call and confirm the time for your appointment. Yes, that’s right call them up, its professional and shows you’re responsible about your commitments. Be firm in your confirm, don’t ask something like “is my interview still on and what time was that again?” The night before make SURE you know where you are going, get MapQuest directions, and take a map of the city where you are going to be.
2. Plan for the unknown, such as getting lost, traffic jams, traffic accidents. Arrive early, better to sit there trying to look productive than arrive late and have NO chance at getting the interview. With an Interview it is always One strike and you are out.
3. Treat everyone in your path like gold, including the receptionist. Behave warmly, professionally and with enthusiasm. You never know who is going to cross your path on your way to the interview, the CEO may ride up the elevator with you or the interviewer coming back from lunch, you never know. Take every opportunity to shine!
4. When meeting the interviewer, give a firm handshake (not a death grip though), and offer a polite and enthusiastic greeting, and smile.
5. Your body language means everything! Do not slouch, yawn (this can be a nervous tic but you will come across looking uninterested), fold your arms in a defensive manner or give off any other signals that may turn the interviewer off right away.
6. Show your desire to participate, take notes during the interview and actively engage in the conversation with nods and smiles. Always make direct eye contact with the interviewer!
7. Do Not drift off in your thoughts and then make the interviewer repeat a question. Keep on task, which is giving the interview process your undivided attention. Even a small “drift” about thinking how you are doing in the interview or whether you think the interviewer likes you is enough to side track your line of thinking forcing you to say, “could you repeat the question, please.”
8. Answer with confidence, take the time to think before you speak. A small pause is fine and preferable to any ramblings that may come out of your mouth because you’re not sure what to say. Even using phrases such as “that is a great question”, may give your brain time to think of where it is going. And it is much better than Ummmmm!
9. Be proactive and if the interview appears to be going well, ask to tour the office, remember to introduce yourself to those you meet. You never know how a good impression will play out and help improve your chances of landing the job.
Bonus Tip: Finally, submit your Best Job Interview Weapon – the 30/60/90 Day Action Plan -your Secret Career Document! This will have the interviewer practically eating out of your hand they will be so impressed. More Job Offers are won with this piece of paper alone than anything else!
Source by Lynn Chase